Supporting?active living infrastructure and transportation choices in Cuyahoga County
Cuyahoga Planning recognizes that active living infrastructure and transportation choices are fast becoming valued, defining features of communities-of-choice across the nation for individuals and businesses. To drive regional prosperity and stay competitive with other urban regions, Cuyahoga County must elevate and accelerate the realization of a comprehensive and extensive system of trails, bikeways, and pedestrian routes. To achieve this with limited resources, coordinated planning is essential.
To accomplish this, County Planning led the initiative to form a collaborative called the Cuyahoga Greenway Partners (CGP) in January 2014. Initially, the collaboration was referred to as the Trails leadership Network. In 2016, the name was changed to avoid confusion between the collaborative of agencies and the physical network of trails and on-road bike facilities.
This presentation was made at at the Greater Cleveland Trails & Greenways Conference in June 2016 and is available for downloading (PDF).
Cuyahoga Greenway Partners (CGP)
The GCP is a working collaboration of agencies and organizations with vested interests and responsibilities for trails and/or bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure, for transportation and for planning. The GCP facilitates communication, keeps focus and drives the regional trail and bikeway efforts for completing the recreation-transportation-choice network. The TLN is not a new, legal organization nor is it a funding body.
- Create and maintain a common trail and bikeway inventory data hub for coordinating, monitoring and planning initiatives
- Prioritize and drive projects – 2 to 3 year (rolling plan)
- Create funding strategies and develop or pursue new funding
- Build trail development capacity in the communities
- Become a common voice for appropriate advocacy for trails & bikeways
- Develop consistent messaging, information and theme for use throughout the trail and bikeway network
GCP Participating Members
The Network formed to be a working group driving real decisions and actions. Each of the organizations participating has staff assigned to contribute to the work of the network.
- Cuyahoga County Planning Commission
- Cleveland Metroparks
- Cuyahoga County Board of Health
- Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
- Northeast Ohio Area Coordinating Agency
- Cleveland City Planning
- Trust for Public Land
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District
- Cuyahoga County Department of Public Works
- Gund Foundation
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- Bike Cleveland